The past few weeks have been relatively quiet for UF coach Will Muschamp on the recruiting trail, but things are starting to pick up again.
The Gators saw one of their top target’s on Sunday and will host two official visitors for the Jacksonville State game. Here’s some news and notes from this past weekend and the one coming up.
* Florida’s chances with receivers Marquez North (Charlotte, N.C./Mallard Creek) and Demarcus Robinson (Fort Valley, Ga./Peach Country) look very slim now. North named Tennessee and North Carolina his co-leaders Friday, while Robinson reaffirmed his commitment to Clemson on his official visit and says his recruitment is over with.
* On a positive note, former Auburn receiver signee JaQuay Williams tweeted this on Friday: “UGA Texas A&M Florida Oklahoma State USC.” It’s not clear whether this is his Top 5 and/or the schools he will officially visit, but the Gators are in the mix. Williams currently attends Fork Union Military Academy in Virginia.
* On Sunday, Muschamp and offensive line coach Tim Davis went and watched JUCO offensive tackle Trenton Brown (Milledgeville, Ga./Georgia Military College), who is still heavily leaning toward the Gators and makes his decision in late November. His team won 43-25 over Lackawanna C.C. (Scanton, Pa.), which features offensive guard Jermaine Eluemunor. Florida State recently offered Eluemunor and the UF coaches may soon follow suit.
* Florida five-star cornerback commit Vernon Hargreaves III (Tampa, Fla./Wharton) was named a finalist for the National High School Player of the Year Award on Monday. The winner will be announced on Feb. 9 in Columbus, Ohio. In case you missed my profile on Hargreaves last week, you can read it HERE.
* Four-star defensive end Ebenezer Ogundeko (Brooklyn, N.Y./Thomas Jefferson) and JUCO defensive tackle Darius Cummings (Scooba, Miss./East Mississippi C.C.) are officially visiting this weekend. UF has been Ogundeko’s leader since the summer and he could very well commit in Gainesville. Cummings is an Ole Miss verbal, but he’s originally from Titusville and signed with FSU out of high school. His former teammate is Florida defensive tackle Damien Jacobs.
* Cummings’ current teammate, Jarran Reed, was offered by the Gators on Sunday night. The 6-foot-4, 305-pound defensive tackle decommitted from North Carolina the following day and plans to take an official to UF in January. Ole Miss is another school to watch with him.
* Auburn linebacker commit Trey Johnson (Lawrenceville, Ga./Central Gwinnett), who attended the South Carolina game, will officially visit Florida on Dec. 14. He will also take trips to Ohio State (Nov. 24) and USC (Jan. 18).